Blade Runner debuted on this day -- June 25, 1982 -- in over 1200 theatres, throughout the United States.
The Blade Runner sequel will re-team director Denis Villeneuve with legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins. Here is the statement from Alcon Entertainment CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, with regard to Deakins joining the Blade Runner 2 creative team: “Roger is an extraordinary talent and we are very excited that Denis and Roger have chosen to continue their collaboration in bringing the sequel to Blade Runner to the big screen.” More HERE.
In an article from Indiewire, Villeneuve said, "It's something that I knew about [for] a while obviously, and I was looking forward [to when] it would be announced. For me, it's so exciting. Roger and I have been dreaming to make a sci-fi movie since the first day we met. He is really, really excited about the project. For me, he is my biggest ally, and honestly I know doing it with him the movie will look astonishing. It is very exciting to do that with him."
The Blade Runner sequel is in the works as the film's list of cast and crew is slowly being revealed. It will be set several decades after the original movie, and will be made up of a three-act storyline. Harrison Ford is officially on board, while Ryan Gosling is rumored to join the cast.
According to Ridley Scott, Ford's 'Rick Deckard' character will play a big role in the sequel. He said that the movie will be divided into a three-act storyline and Ford's 'Deckard' will arrive on the third act. "We talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense it terms of how it relates to the first one. Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it's about finding him; he comes in the third act." Scott said.
Aside from Deckard, a female protagonist is said to be included in the film -- although there are no reports yet as to the actress to play the role.
Alcon Entertainment's co-CEOs, Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson seem to be pretty impressed with Scott, Fancher, and Green's work with the story and screenplay. "Hampton and Michael, with Ridley, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn't be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team." they said.
More details about the movie is expected to be released soon. No release date has been announced for the movie yet, although, filming is said to start in summer 2016. [Source: VCPost]
Blade Runner continues to grace the big screen across the globe. In addition to the United States, Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Australia, the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, and Vietnam, we can add France to the list -- showing in October. [Again, there may have been, or will be, more dates scheduled in other countries, but I have not come across such news as of this writing.] For a list of showings, you may go to the Off-worldNews Twitter feed.
- A Conversation with Terry Rawlings -- from Animated Views
- "Ridley's Key: The Forgotten Influence of Joseph Losey in Blade Runner," by Vincent Joseph Noto
- "Track 45 left, part 2," by Ken Perlin
- "Does Blade Runner 2 Have The Right Ingredients?" by Michael Edwards
- "Furnish The Future," by Matt Cole
- "A Dark and Poetic Sequel to 'Blade Runner' by Denis Villeneuve," by Rohan Mohmand"The Penfield Mood Organ in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Chris Beckett
- "Science Fiction Is for Slackers," by Jacob Brogan
- "Aristotle watches Blade Runner," by Edward Feser
- "Blade Runner", by Steven Kotler
- "Don’t worship your ‘definitive’ disc, movies were meant to evolve," By Eric Buchman
- "What Does It Mean To Be Human? ‘Blade Runner’ And Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dream," by Eric Williams
“Blade Runner” by Aiden Chuo
"Contemplating a life too short" by Harnois75 (Daryl Joyce)
Toys by P-JoArt
Rachael original watercolor -- by Patt Kelly
- "Twice as Bright, Half as Long," by NicoleAnell [Fanfiction]
- A Blade Runner HRC PhD Poster Competition Entry
- I just saw Blade Runner in the cinema. Here are some impressions you might find useful
And remember to follow @OffWorldNews on Twitter to receive these and other Blade Runner related news items, (including movie showings, specials, and more not featured in this newsletter), as it comes in. Also be sure to visit KippleZone's Pinterest page for more Blade Runner images and videos; from behind-the-scenes photos to fan art, figures, and props!
"Have a better one!"